9 September 2010

Cultural Shocks with my Chinese Colleagues

In the Mphill program we are about 15 students out of which about half are Asians and half Europeans. Asia is represented by students from Iran, China (mainland), Hong-Kong, Taiwan and Indonesia.
.

Yesterday I had my first two cultural shocks with two of my Chinese colleagues. I have to mention that both of them have just arrived from China and they are for the first time in Europe.
.

The first shock was that I had to explain what a blog is… kind of funny considering that back home in Romania, blogging is almost a second nature for many of the young people.
.
The second shock was with another Chinese colleague. The story is a little longer, but it’s worth reading it. I noticed that he was quite shy and afraid not to say something wrong or disrespectful. Since we are both on the marketing track at Mphil and we are doing some assignments together, I felt like explaining a few basic things about European social norms and communication. I don’t know too many things about Chinese culture and social norms, but I know that some of them are almost the opposite of the European ones. So I told him that here in Europe it’s not disrespectful to ask questions during class, and the social gaps between people are not as big as in China, that it’s ok to speak his mind and say things strait and not to infer, that it’s ok to just ask for help if he needs etc.
.
My dear colleague was listening carefully and was trying to understand the local social norms. He told me that he understands, but still it will take him some time to adapt to this totally new culture.
.
After about an hour we meet at the computer room. He got a coca cola and drank some of it… immediately after he finished drinking he burped loudly, but naturally – not a forced burp. I immediately told him that is not polite to do in Europe. He said that he was sorry and asked me what to do to avoid making these natural sounds.
.
Apparently in China it is ok to burp in public, because it is a natural reaction of your body.

.
.
Well… these are my first two cultural shocks with the Chinese students at Mphil at ERIM. I think that in a few months they will better understand our European culture and will do just fine in the program and in the international community in Rotterdam.