15 September 2010

What I have accomplished in the 28th year of my life

Today is the last day of my 28th year. These are the last hours when I’ll ever be 27.
.
Well, I can say that 27 (3 at the 3rd power) was a good age, a year of grate change. A little before turning 27 I’ve decided to make a big change in my life – going back to school at a world class university and preparing for an academic career. At the beginning I had only a blind faith and a lot of desperation, but that actually helped. Soon after I turned 27 I took the TOEFL. It was a success (111 out of 120). Then came the GMAT… that was a lot harder than I expected, but after a lot of hard work and banging my head on the walls (literally) it was a success …
.
Well after that I restarted my (small) business. It was a short revival, but still it worked for some months.
.
In the same time I applied for different study programs at foreign universities. A lot of paper (or digital paper) work. Well, again it was a success considering that I got admitted at my second option program at my first option university.
.
After this luck struck! I met the most wonderful woman (for me of course). To make a long story short, we moved together to The Netherlands and we have a wonderful relationship.
.
After that again a lot of paperwork for my application to the “Opened Horizons” scholarship. It also was a success.
.
Now I am in The Netherlands for almost a month. Things are not super glamorous, but they are all right.
.
I can say that 27 was a good age for me.
.
For this I also have to thank some important people. First I have to thank my parents and my close family for supporting me in this radical journey. Then I have to thank C. (my former girlfriend) for standing by me and supporting me through a very difficult period of my life (26 and half of 27). I also have to thank all of my (true) friends that in one way or the other had trust in me and helped me each in his or her own way.
.
Last, but not least, I have to thank Cornelia (my girfriend) for all that she is.
.
I hope that 28 will be at least as good as 27 and I wish you all to be healthy, lucky and hard working.